Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Pan New Day~

After the holidays I browsed our local Winner's..Similar to TJ Maxx but not as good..
I found this pan I had coveted on the net.. not on sale..but reasonably priced.
I love all small things..or smaller things I should say.
I really enjoy my Norpro mini cheesecake pans..and knew I would like this Chicago Metallic small crumb cake pan.
The removeable bottoms..are such a pleasure to work with.
Foolproof..

While babysitting the boys..I browsed through a 2005 Bon Appétit of my daughter's and found a nice pound cake recipe by Dorie.
Of course I have never met a Dorie recipe I didn't like..so I decided to try making smaller versions in this pan.
They turned out perfectly.

A few eggs..3 to be exact:) I love looking at eggs:)


And some yogurt .. some marmalade ...which I have plenty of since I made so much~


Just little delicious squares with a hint of tartness and a few pistachios on top..




Bon!

Speaking of cute.. we went to see our DD that had Noah almost 7 months ago..
I remember making their food..putting it in ice cube trays..popping them out and Bagging them..
Look how cute these things are.
I marveled at her sunny stash in her freezer all ready to go..
The bananas and squash were sparkling in the containers.
She sent me a photo of her bananas and broccoli she had already taken.
So cute!



Lucky Noah~

I am thinking these would be great for pesto:)


Here is Dorie's Recipe~

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon (packed) finely grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil


1/4 cup lemon, orange, or grapefruit marmalade (for glaze)
1 teaspoon water

PreparationPosition rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Generously butter 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2-inch metal loaf pan. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Combine yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon peel, and vanilla in large bowl; whisk until well blended. Gradually whisk in dry ingredients. Using rubber spatula, fold in oil. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Place pan on baking sheet.

Place cake on baking sheet in oven and bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 5 minutes. Cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Turn cake out onto rack. Turn cake upright on rack and cool completely. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap and store at room temperature.)

Stir marmalade and 1 teaspoon water in small saucepan over medium heat until marmalade melts. Brush hot mixture over top of cake. Let glaze cool and set. Cut cake crosswise into slices.

8 comments:

  1. cute pan is right, but it takes your magic to turn them into such cute cakes! i love the lighting of the finished product~

    how is n, is he doing better now?

    cute pic of the baby food, i am so naive, i know none of this stuff...

    but i do know how happy i am that your blog is active again~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pan, what cute little cakes it made!
    Your pics are great! I struggle so , the harder I try, the worse they are..

    That is a great way to do baby food!

    I used my new pan today too..
    I'll post it later...got it when I got our slider pans ...little hearts with removable bottoms...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the stash of Noah''s food. How sweet and definitely made with love.

    Monique, what darling little cakes and what a great pan. The marmalade on top just twinkles and shines ... sun kissed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute little cakes! Looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make my own baby food too :) She's a good momma.

    I love that pan! I haven't seen one yet. Your cakes look like the sun is shining right through. So pretty! The recipe sounds delicious. I saw them on FGs too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are such cute little pans, I'm taking notes in my journal on these and Susan's mini cheesecake ones.

    Noah's freezer stash looks good enough for me to eat :-) So colorful, my babies always loved sweet potatoes and squash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Monique, everything you cook, bake is a work of art. Your lighting is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monique, It's my mini-vacation to see what beautiful photo treats you have in store for us.

    You never disappoint! Sheer pleasure. :)

    xo~m.

    PS I have a square cakelet pan similar to your new one, but from King Arthur Flour ~ your version is a definite improvement with the removable bottoms. Your cakes are perfect!

    ReplyDelete